We are fortunate enough to meet and talk with many WISPs about their plans and goals around shifting from a WISP to a FISP model in their business. Since we’ve been through this process in partnership with companies many, many (many!) times, we have become a trusted resource for laying out everything a WISP owner needs to consider in this process.
The webinar below runs through the top 5 things companies should know as they are considering or gearing up for this shift.
You can obtain the Checklist referenced during the session by clicking here.
No time to take notes during the session? No problem! We’ve laid out the main points below – feel free to print them out and reference them as you move forward with your project!
Who should consider shifting from WISP to FISP?
Ask yourself this question: Do you want to play offense or defense with your business strategy? Not into sports analogies? Try this instead: Do you want to be proactive or reactive with your business strategy? If you answered “offense” and/or “proactive”, then you may be ready to make the jump from WISP to FISP.
What should you do?
When it comes to making this shift, there is no one-and-only way to do it. Here are some things to consider – Do you want…
- Best quality?
We know: ALL OF THE ABOVE! But it doesn’t work that way, so think about what is of the utmost importance to you and this will help to drive what you will need to do.
When is the right time to make the shift?
Clients we have worked with always say NOW or YESTERDAY once they are on the other side of the project, so know that the feelings of uncertainty do tend to fade. Until then, ask yourself is it:
- Financially feasible?
- Time to upgrade anyway?
- Time of year – is it a factor?
- Is there competition nearby?
- Are we interested in a long-term or short-term investment?
Where should you do it?
- What makes the most sense?
- Do we want to focus on our current footprint or edge out at this time?
- Home density
- Proximity to Transport Network
- Take rates? Highest first?
Why should we make this shift?
- Does the business case make sense?
- Economics/rate of return
- Is there funding available?
- Is a long-term presence in the community a goal?
How can we get this up and rolling?
- Funding – Grants, Loans, State, Federal, RDOF…
- Sign-ups/Pre-sale customers
- Marketing (Announcements, Door Hangers…)
- Project Management
- Customer Complaint Management
INTANGIBLES – There is ALWAYS something!
- Things we didn’t think would be a problem…
- Things we thought would and weren’t…
- Warranty/Retainage/Liquidated Damages
- Permits /Fees/Liabilities
- Established yards, concrete driveways, etc.
- Clean Up/Restoration
- Take Rates, Drops and Splicing (Track?)
- As-Builts and Records going forward? Options
- Ongoing maintenance and outages (Master Contract?)
- The impact of Social Media on build (Positive and Negative)
Are you still with us? We know, it’s A LOT to consider. If you have questions, we’re always happy to help – click here to contact us!